Yes, it's going to be Ramadan soon! For the uninitiated, Ramadan is the holiest month in the Islamic calendar where Muslims observe daily fasting from dawn to dusk, in addition to heightened spirituality and a focus on charity and community. The ritual of fasting begins with sahur or the pre-dawn meal. Muslims usually have this meal at around 4:30am. It is a very important meal to replenish the body with nourishment and fluids before the day of fasting begins. Here are some delicious, fast and filling recipes for your sahur that can be both nutritious and a breeze!
Image by VeselovaElena from Getty Images Pro
1. Banana Granola Smoothie
You can never go wrong with this smoothie, it only requires 2 steps that will take you less than 5 minutes to make. In case you do not have the appetite to eat a whole big meal in the morning, this smoothie is definitely one of the best choices. Bananas have high soluble fibre content that helps slow down the digestion process, which makes you feel fuller for a longer period of time. Why sweeten your smoothie with sugar when you can do so with dates! These energy dense, fibre rich morsels of sweetness are a classic go-to sahur food for a quick source of energy and nutrients which can be easily paired with banana! Needless to say, these two powerhouse ingredients are a must for a breezy pre-dawn meal.
- 1 banana, frozen
- 5 dates, pitted
- 1 tablespoon of yogurt
- 4 tablespoon of granola
- 3 tablespoons for blending
- 1 tablespoon for topping (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of honey (optional)
- 1 cup of milk of choice
- Add all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth and creamy
- Pour into your cup.
- Top with 1 tablespoon of granola (optional)
Image by nata_vkusidey from Getty Images Pro
2. Overnight Oats
This is an amazing sahur meal and it has got ALL THE GOOD STUFF. This jar of overnight oats will give you the fibre, protein, complex carbohydrates and iron and the best part? This recipe takes less than 5 minutes to put together. Extremely simple to make, you are simply soaking your oats with the milk of choice (we love oat milk or almond milk), sweetened with a bit of honey and other fruits that you may have. For even more nutrition, nut butters and chia seeds can be added too! Mix it all up and put it in the fridge overnight. And that’s it! This could be the healthiest fast food EVER.
- 2/3 cup of unsweetened milk
- 1/2 cup of rolled oats
- 1/3 cup of plain yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 1 small ripe banana, mashed
- 2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-2 tablespoons of honey (optional)
- pinch of salt
- Whisk together all the ingredients except bananas in a mixing bowl.
- Spoon into a mason jar or air-tight container, layering with sliced bananas. Close the jar.
- Refrigerate overnight or for at least four hours.
- Enjoy. You may also add any other fruit like berries or grapes and chopped nuts as a topping.
Image by LauriPatterson from Getty Images Signature
3. TikTok Egg Sandwich
Another one of the delicious foods you can make at home is this Tik Tok egg sandwich! Extremely easy and cheesy breakfast sandwich. This egg and cheese sandwich is a viral sensation with a one pan hack for perfect egg folding and an on the go meal for one. Feel free to add vegetables like spinach and tomatoes and even a dash of sriracha but we’ll keep it simple this time so that you can follow through. This egg sandwich recipe is super customizable, so easy to make, you’ll probably have this everyday!
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 eggs - beaten
- 2 slices of bread
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Place butter into a small non-stick frying pan and heat over medium heat until melted.
- Whisk eggs in a separate bowl and pour over butter. Cook eggs until almost done.
- Place 2 bread slices on top of the eggs and press into eggs.
- Carefully flip the bread and eggs over.
- Fold the overlapping egg onto the bread slices.
- Top eggs with shredded cheese.
- Cook for a minute or two until the bread is toasted on top and bottom.
- Serve egg sandwich while hot and enjoy!
Image by Fudio from Getty Images
4. Avocado Melt
Avocados are often lauded for their benefits and who wouldn’t want to eat a superfood for Sahur? This nutritious fruit has always been well known for its good source of fibre as well as fats which will leave you feeling full and satiated throughout the day. Cheese is another food that will provide you with energy and delay hunger pangs throughout your day and honestly, who doesn’t like melted cheese on their toast?! By having these 2 ingredients, your diet plan for this fasting month will ensure that you feel full and active during the day!
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 avocado
- shredded cheese
- chilli flakes (optional)
- salt and black pepper
- Smash avocado with a fork, season with salt and pepper and spread onto the bread.
- Place shredded cheese over the avocados and sprinkle some chilli flakes
- Toast until the cheese has melted.
Image by All Things Delicious
5. Mumbai Scrambled Eggs
Eggs are a no brainer for Sahur and this is one of those egg recipes which you might end up cooking a couple of times when you are craving something spicy, delicious and finger licking good! The base of this recipe is a masala which has onions, green chillies and tomatoes. Regular stuff at home, that’s right but what makes it better is the spices added to it and the cooking method. The best part? It is super quick to make! All you need is 20 minutes to whip up this kick-ass breakfast which will help you stay fuller for longer and they taste delicious too.
- 6 eggs whole
- 1 tbsp oil
- 15g butter
- 100g onion chopped
- 75g tomato chopped
- 2-3 green chilli chopped
- 50g capsicum chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon pav bhaji masala
- coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon butter to toast the buns
- Break all eggs in the bowl, whisk them nicely and keep aside.
- Heat oil and butter in a pan and add chopped onion and green chillies.
- Saute those for 2-3 minutes and add chopped capsicum/bell peppers.
- Cook till veggies become soft and add tomatoes.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on medium heat till tomatoes are mashed and pulpy.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, pav bhaji masala and mix well.
- Pour egg mixture in the skillet and cook eggs, keep stirring them in-between so that they do not stick to the pan and cook till they are almost done to 95%.
- Switch off and garnish with coriander leaves and serve!
We hope these 5 easy and filling recipes for Sahur will help you and your family in staying hydrated and energised throughout the day. If you don’t have the ingredients, skip it or substitute with what you do have, it’s really that simple. However, do make sure you don’t indulge in any other activity while eating otherwise your brain might not register it and you could start feeling hungry during the daytime. Do tag us on social media if you decide to try one (or more) of these recipes, Happy Ramadan!